skip to Main Content

Social work assistants are support staff members who work directly with qualified social workers to protect and advise a variety of people in their community and healthcare settings like hospitals and retirement facilities.

Social work assistants typically are the first contact for clients, and they aid these clients with resources information, care plans, home visits and more. They also maintain all records for the clients and follow up with them as appropriate.

Social work assistants need to have a thick skin and a big heart, as a lot of situations they encounter can be tough, heartbreaking and take an emotional toll.

How do I become a social services assistant?

Experience is usually more of a key than education when it comes to social work. Even if youve volunteered in a caring role, it will count toward your experience. Having a secondary education is also valuable; having a course like the BTEC National Certificate or a diploma in health and social care are very helpful.

Be prepared to have a background check performed on you through the Criminal Records Bureau as well to ensure the safety of the clients. You will also need a driving licence to make your home visits.

Once Im trained, then what?

When you start work, your employer will provide an orientation period for you to be trained to approved national care standards. You will also pick up many valuable lessons from the hands on nature of the job.

If you wish to pursue further career opportunities in social work, you could study part-time at a local college for other qualifications such as a social care-related Foundation Degree. With this qualification you may be able to join the second year of a social work degree.

What is the register of social care workers?

The General Social Care Council (GSCC) runs a register of qualified and student social workers in England. In the future, all social care workers including assistants will need to join the register and follow the GSCC Code of Practice. See the GSCC website for more information about the register.

Fancy being the boss and not the assistant then check out our social worker job profile.

Where can I find more information?

Social Work and Care Careers

Tel: 0300 123 1100

Career advice and adverts for UK Jobs with ideas ranging from van drivers to fashion and medical, think ofwhat you can do and think long term.

If you need to contact your local job centre we have its phone number, a map of it and address for you so please look.

Back To Top